Thursday, November 29, 2007

The first time is always something isn't it?

So here I am - entering the blogosphere - something I've always wanted to do but never knew what to say...I figured I'd give it a shot and see if I could amuse (at least myself) with the journey that I am on in my life.

I also thought this would be a fantastic way for my friends and family to see what's going on with me...you know, if you're not checking myspace or facebook constantly! And, to have a place to reflect on the important things in the world - you know, like Britney Spears (I'm only joking a little here).

I was talking to a girlfriend this morning about New Years Resolutions - things I've always made and never ever followed through with...so, I don't make them anymore - at least not on New Years. Does anyone? And, if they are being made, what are they and do you really follow through? Or do you try to make a change and then fall back into an old routine within a month or two?

I myself don't start the year with January 1. The new year for me starts on my birthday which I think is more fitting - you get to take a look back on your year as a certain age and look ahead to an older, wiser you - who will learn and grow and be more fabulous than the year before.

So, since my new year started in September, I am able to reflect on a couple of months of being 27...and how my "resolutions" for this year are coming along.

I've made lifestyle changes - in more ways than one and on December 6th it will be three months into my new year and here are some of the things I've done:

~Celebrated the start of my new year with close friends and family - several times (Virgos get a whole month for our birthdays)
~Ran two 5K road races (one is tomorrow-here's hoping it's not sleeting!!)
~Lost 62 pounds and counting
~Have not frequented a McDonalds, Burger King, or other fast food eatery (and I don't even missed it)
~Earned a really big raise (thank you, THANK YOU to my boss!)
~Joined the Beloit Breakfast Optimist Club (where I get a little teary eyed every time I read the creed-it's a good one!)
~Appreciated the fabulousness of fall at the Apple Hut, the Pumpkin Patch and a glorious run/walk through Big Hills with my family
~Passed a County Budget that actually REDUCED property taxes!
~Started taking an AM class at the Y that I was previously a little afraid of (and not only am I no longer afraid, I'm keeping up with the "hardcore" guys!)
~Found a love for yoga and all things that bring quiet into my busy life.
~Enjoyed a VERY thankful Thanksgiving weekend getting to spend time with some of my very favorite people in the world and of course with my family. I'm sure I'll spout on about Thanksgiving being one of my favorite holidays in the future, but I really do love it!
~Declared my candidacy for the 14th Supervisory district for the Rock County Board of Supervisors

So, if you're making a resolution this year, I'd love to know what it is and how you plan on reaching for your goal - I encourage all of you to find something to work on in your life and actually do it - the rewards of doing something for yourself, to better yourself are measureless.

2 comments:

ctadhankins said...

I'll start the bidding, Jen. Glad to see you're online! I'm impressed by the list of things you've marked off recently... busy busy!
My New Year's resolution from last year (something that while drunk I basically slurred to myself while hanging out with friends) was to get more into shape, and thankfully I can report that I've recently (and only very recently) gotten into the groove of getting to the Y in Roscoe at 5:15 am three times a week. That's about it... everything else is just centered around what Clare and Addie want! Congrats on the blog!

Ann said...

So excited that you have entered the blog world! You have had a great past year for sure!! As far as a resolution for me maybe to actually have my own blog instead of just stalking the blogs of friends and random people!!