Thursday, December 13, 2007

Christmas Time in the City

I was fortunate enough to be able to hop on a plane last Thursday and head to Los Angeles - my home away from home for some much needed time with my SoCal friends.

Despite snowstorms and freezing rain I was able to make it out of the Midwest and while I didn't arrive in time for a beer at my favorite Pasadena bar, I at least got there!

While I love LA all year round, Christmas time is pretty special - it's so festive and the best part is that it didn't have the 20 + inches of snow we had back here in Wisconsin!

The Grove in Beverly Hills is always decked out to the max - we caught a show of girls dancing to Christmas music and afterwards fake snow was shot out of all the roof tops of the shops, and while I didn't want to see snow at that moment, it was really fun to watch the little kids get so excited about it.


It was also so nice to be able to spend time with Betty, Mike, Alby, and Stanton for the weekend - they're all such fabulous people and I'm so blessed to have them in my life.

I got to do a little shoe shopping in Hollywood, drink at the 35er, drink martinis at the Olive Garden, go to Venice Beach and the Grove, and have a leisurely breakfast with Eliza my wonderful friend from my Grad school program.

While it was pretty much freezing (ok, not Wisconsin freezing, but LA freezing which means it was in the 40s) Mike, Betty, and I headed to Venice - which is one of my favorite places in the world.





After we walked along the beach, ate our $1 pizza (that's now $1.50), and looked in some of the shops, Venice was finally complete for me when I saw the crazy speedo guy walking the boardwalk (he was in his speedo but unfortunately, he was missing the ginormous boa constrictor that he usually carries with him).


It's always sad to leave LA and since this was the shortest trip in history it was even harder, but as their Governor likes to say: "I'll be back!" :)


No comments: