Sunday, December 2, 2007

Getting a "runner's high" was something I thought was absolutely crazy - - I mean really, who gets a thrill from running?!?

However, once I experienced it, I was hooked.

In August this year, I could run about a mile without wanting to die - in fact, I thought I was going to die.

Throughout the next two months I worked out more and trained a little harder so that by October 21st I could actually run 3.1 miles - so I knew that while I may finish last, I could at least do it.

I completed my first 5K race in 33 min. and 16 sec. - not bad for a girl who could barely run a mile in August (and, I didn't finish last!!). Finishing that race was amazing - passing people towards the end and running as hard as I could across the finish line was overwhelming - and, to get 2nd place in my age group and to get a trophy was actually quite amusing.

While my legs felt like jello and I was a little emotional (this was a really big deal for me!), I felt amazing. Like I could do it again right then (I was SO not going to, but the thought was there!).

I did my second race this weekend and I know my runner's high isn't just a one time thing. Some friends and I ran the Jingle Bell Run for Arthritis on Saturday morning. With winter storm watches and warnings out we were set to run and I was set to beat my October time.

Just as we made our way to the starting line it started to snow - rather hard. It was icy cold and I was praying that I'd be able to make my feet move!

I kept up with my friend Melinda (who is such an awesome encourager and a great runner) for the entire race - and came in at 27 min. and 58 sec. - -knocking more than 5 min. off of my October time - and again, snow covered and freezing, I felt incredible!

I'm not so sure if I'm going to be game for any more outdoor races this winter (mainly because I'm still a California girl and I FREEZE!), but I'm gearing up for the Spring already - aiming to cut more time off and do longer races!

My ultimate goal is to do a marathon when I'm 30 - so for the next three years I'll be challenging myself as much as possible and even throwing in some biathlons and would love to do a triathlon to! If anyone knows of good events, I'm all ears!

No comments: