Friday, September 5, 2008

Reflections on 27

So I know I did the whole big post filled with lots of picture reminders about what my 27th year was all about but I think I need one final reflection as I say goodbye to 27 today and hello to 28 tomorrow.

I've learned that people come and go into your life that either make you a better person or make you learn something about yourself, both of which in the long run are equally appreciated.

I've learned that it's ok to be strong and stand up for what you want. And while I've always tried to do this, I've realized that I'm sometimes too much of a people pleaser and in the long run am not really making myself happy. I have opinions, strong ones, ones that I need to share. I know what I want and I need to make it known.

I'm learning to be comfortable in my (new) skin. That I'm really great just the way I am and sure there will always be things that I don't love about my body but I know that right now, I can be happy with what I have to work with.

I'm learning to accept compliments without an addendum. I don't need to say "thank you, but" I can accept the fact that I'm doing something well and be proud of that. Which is easier said than done sometimes.

I've learned that people change. People grow and learn and move forward and sometimes the people that you thought you would always move forward with are not the ones that end up by your side.

I've learned that I can push my limits. I can test myself - both physically and mentally. I'm strong and I will adapt - I can, I will and most importantly, I am able.

I've learned that tough times don't last, no matter what tough challenge is put in front of me, "this too shall pass" and I will make it out on the other side a better, stronger person than I was before.

I worked my ass off (both literally and figuratively) in the past year. I've had some major accomplishments both personally and professionally. I've also had a lot of tough things to get through and while I'm still working on some things, I am completely ready as this new/not so new person to take on 28, kick a little ass as a tough woman and do it with style.

2 comments:

Ann said...

Happy B-day Jen--how was the big 20 on your big 28?

Jennifer said...

Thank you!! I was so going to text you to see how your race went!?! Can't wait to hear all about it. The 20 was fine - great 10 min miles with a little bit of a foot cramp around mile 18 which was weird, but took care of it and kept on going!!