Tuesday, October 7, 2008

New Kids on the Block...had a bunch of hits

Chinese food makes me sick, and I think it's fly when girls stop by for the summer, for the summer...
Ok, so I like quoting LFO (one hit wonder) Summer Girls when I start to talk about the New Kids on the Block - I just can't help it.

The second that Mary found out the NKOTB was touring again she was sending out emails to get people to come to the show in Chicago - actually she was pleading to find anyone with an AMEX because they got priority purchasing. Thankfully, she found someone willing to buy and 6 of us were willing to go. Thanks to her SO much for coordinating an AMAZING time!

I saw the NKOTB for the first time when I was in 4th grade in Alpine Valley with my parents and the Davis family. It was a HUGE deal for me. I was in love with Jordan Knight and thought that the NKOTB was the greatest boy band ever - and I still, to this day, believe that. Especially after Saturday night!!

Mary preped us by sending the NKOTB Greatest Hits and their new album The Block (which is actually really amazing). So, for the last few weeks before the concert I had been rocking out to Hangin' Tough and Step by Step and all my other old favorites while learning the words to their new songs.

I went to Chicago on Friday night and got to Mary's and broke out the tee shirts and puffy paint - we were doin' this show up right. Mary, Angie and I decked out shirts for all of us girls and watched the 1990 VHS tape of the kids - a couple of times!

Saturday morning, while drinking coffee, we watched VH1 "episodes" of interviews with the NKOTB talking about their old songs and their new ones and watching all of the music videos - like 30 of them in total. It was all New Kids all the time and it was FUN.

When Leslie, Steph, and Tami showed up the giddy-ness was on and we suddenly transformed into crazy teenagers.

The show was amazing - and I have never seen an arena full of 28 - 35 year old women screaming like they were 4th graders seeing their favorite boy band for the very first time. And man, was that cool.

The Kids - yeah, they're not kids anymore. They've all aged extremely well and are smokin' hot. And even though they're pushing 40, they've absolutely still got the right stuff - they can still sing and most importantly they can still dance!

I lost my voice - screaming and singing - and had the best time! And, I'm still admiting that I heart the NKOTB!


3 comments:

Jake said...

Did anyone have an "I heart Danny" shirt? Just curious. I loved the LFO quote....nice, reminds me of Kempfy, he totally could have been in LFO.

Anonymous said...

um, so Mary's hair, socks, and pants were quite amazing :)

Jennifer said...

No one in our group really hearted Danny very much. Andy totally could have been in a cheesy boy band - like LFO - not a REAL boy band like NKOTB :) ha ha. Just kidding, he for sure has boy band worth!

Oh, and Amanda - Mary was AMAZING - she rocked the hair, socks, pants AND eye shadow. She was a rock star. :)