Monday, October 20, 2008

A year of running coming to a close

A year ago today, October 20th I ran my very first "official" 5K ever - the Y's annual Fall Classic. On Saturday, October 18th I ran it again to close out my first year of running.

As I walked into the crowd to find my place towards the middle of the pack, I started to think about what a whirlwind the last year has been. And I know I've done a lot of reflecting on that (ok, a ton, I know it's all I talk about) but it has been a huge deal for me - a long time (26 ish years) non runner.

So instead of boring you with the details once again on how my life has totally changed and I'm this new/not so new person, blah blah blah...I'll talk about how the runs were different because you know, that will be exciting!

A year ago I had to walk a portion of the race. I couldn't run the whole thing. This year, it was cake (well, not really because I was still pretty sore...but you know, I can run 3.1 miles with ease now).

A year ago I wore really crappy adidas not for running tennis shoes, because it's what I had. This year, I wore my top of the line, super sweet, got me through a marathon asics.

A year ago the hill on Moccisan killed me - it sucked hard. This year I commanded it. It's my hill. It's the hill that I ran several times a week during training and let's be honest, it's not the Bayliss Bitch - that hill is mean.

Last year as I ran I reflected on what it took to get me to that point, and I cried when I finished. This year I reflected on my past year of running and all the things I have accomplished, and I cried when I finished. So, you know, whatever, I'm a baby.

Last year I finished in 33:16 and got 2nd place in my age group. This year I finished in 30:13 (my slowest 5K time since this race last year!!) and I got 2nd place in my age group.

A year ago, a girl threw up in front of me - before she made it to the finish line, so I ran around her and didn't bother to see if she was ok. Which, may make me mean, but I was focused and well...this year, no throwing up - thank goodness!!

So, this week starts a new running year and I am SO looking forward to cool races in fun places! Bring on the running!!

No comments: