Monday, April 27, 2009

"Match" Date #1 & an in between meet and greet

Well, I finally went on a date with someone I met on Match. It was well, just ok in the grand scheme of things. I didn't want to poke my eyes out with a stick but I didn't get that "this is awesome" feeling either.

I met the cop at Buffalo Wild Wings because I'm always up for wings and beer and while others may think that's a totally lame date, I think that for a first meeting it was fine. It was casual and brightly lit and there were lots of people in case I needed protection from strangers.

Anyway, the conversation was easy and we ended up going for ice cream after and we set up another date for a Sunday afternoon cook out.

In between dates with the cop, I went to visit my BFF Heather in Cedarburg and as I walked through her door she told me that she had "exciting news" - I immediately asked her if she was pregnant. When she informed me that she wasn't and that it was for me, I was more than curious.

Turns out, her neighbor down the street, HR guy, was single and our age and meeting us out for dinner and drinks if I was ok with it. I'm never one to shy away from meeting new people so we walked down to HR guys house and walked to downtown Cedarburg, which is a really cute little place.

HR guy turns out to be pretty awesome and hanging with him until bar close allows me to list all of the reason why the cop is so not me. First and foremost, HR guy can get through a sentence, nay, an entire 6 hours without mentioning boobs - serious bonus points.

Bonus points for interesting travel, life experience, and things to talk about other than sports (which is TOTALLY fine, but come on, are the Cubs ALL you've got?)...MORE bonus points for being incredibly educated (meaning you didn't graduate because you were a football player who got by on the skin of your teeth), well spoken, and polite (aka, not mentioning boobs constantly).

It was an interesting weekend for sure and while it was lots of fun, not a match was made...totally fine though as it was a good, clarifying learning experience!

4 comments:

Jake said...

Boobs! Ryne Sandberg! Mark Grace! Boobs! ...crap.

Jennifer said...

Yeah, you wouldn't do so well with me ;) ha ha...

The thing of it is, I can handle that kind of thing - that "guys guy" thing because well, you know, I'm kind of a dude - I like sports and while I don't like women I'm not above saying that a woman is pretty or something but when you initially meet someone I just think you better be able to come up with some other topics!

Anonymous said...

Obviously there are a set of social norms or a set of rules of decorum that should be followed on a first date. Female body parts or male body parts for that matter, generally don't find a slot on the list of what is acceptable behavior/conversation. Save it for date 2.

Stick to the basics, stick to the basics, stick to the basics, on a first date....talk about the weather, what you like to do for fun (pg rated), where you grew up. Commenting on the anatomy of a fellow patron of your local watering hole, might be off limits.

I agree with you.

Matt said...

So was wishing for a match... Still haven't had a chance to talk to him since--O's parties/ Luka's flu---nasty! Ahhhh.... Was thinking about seeing if he was up for another night out--- when are you up for it? Lets face it-- We closed the bar. I am confident we all thought it was REALLY fun!