Monday, February 4, 2008

Figuring It Out

There's really nothing better than throwing your map aside and getting yourself lost in an unknown city. Yesterday I spent the day doing just that and trying not to get killed crossing the street and there will be more of the same today.

I spent the day walking yesterday, with no particular destination. I find that in order to really acclimate myself with a place I need to just figure it out until I find my way home.

Ho Chi Minh City is not a beautiful one by any means, there are great spots but those come few and far between. It is a fascinating place though - there is constant movement and craziness with people on the streets just chatting in groups, eating, and trying to get you to go on a motorbike with them. I did read that a lot of the older men that are trying to talk you into a guided motrobike tour with them were chastized from this country during the war. Before the war some were doctors and teachers and when they sided with the Americans they were never again allowed to have jobs in the professions that they had...so now most are living here in Vietnam illegally on the streets and trying to show tourists the city.

One of my favorite moments of the day was seeing my first pet monkey. What a dumb thing in a city with all kinds of history!! It was really entertaining though. This cute little monkey was fully clothed and riding on a motorbike with a guy...I totally wanted him (the monkey, not the guy!).

Chris and I went to a rooftop bar last night, and I will say that the city is WAY prettier at night. It's also New Years for them and one of the main streets is lined with flowers and is really quite beautiful. The bar we went to was Siagon Siagon which is on the roof top of the Caravelle Hotel which is where foreign correspondents used to sit and watch the war.

We then went to an amazing Tapas restaurant and of course ate way too much! And then decidd to get a foot massage. It was more of a full body massage but they did do a lot to your feet...It was a little too rough for my liking but my body does feel pretty good today and for a guy to rub your feet for 75 min. for $7 I'm all about it! :)

I'm off for a run and then to again hit the streets to explore! We're leaving for Thailand tonight and I'm looking forward to it (more beach time ahead too!!).

No comments: