Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Thailand Recap

Ok, so I was falling in love the moment we got to Thailand and now it's solidified. If I could find some sort of work there I would love to live there!

Pattaya is so much fun! The beach was wonderful and the Gulf of Thailand was amazingly warm - needless to say I spent a great deal of time soaking up the sun and swimming in the Gulf.

Chris' friend Jeff from the Consulate joined us on Saturday and we had a blast, it was probably my favorite night of the vacation. We hung out on the beach all day (which really, your day can't go wrong if you lay on a beach for 7 hours!) and then had an amazing dinner (Indian food, which I've eaten a lot of this trip - YUM!) and after went to a "walking street" filled with bars and clubs and restaurants, and all kinds of touristy stuff.

We had a couple drinks in different bars and then proceeded to find the greatest thing ever...parked in the middle of the street with music blaring and drinks flowing out of it was a Pink Bus...

We grabbed drinks from the Pink Bus and continued to walk for awhile but ultimately came back to the bus and sat there drinking and people watching for 3 crazy hours.

The location of the bus was special because we were in the middle of a busy street which made it great for people watching - and man did we get a show.

There was first a guy who was completely drunk and passed out at the next table, drooling. I kept my eye on him to make sure that he was still breathing...but he was and after awhile he did wake up and stumble off, only to return to the Bus several times looking rather confused. There were offers to help him find his way back to his hotel but those efforts were turned down. I'm still hoping that he made it somewhere ok.

Then, I hate to say this, there was the next Natalie Hollaway who provided us with more than enough drama. She was a pretty little blonde girl walking around with a sketchy guy (who we coined as her gay best friend after watching them for awhile). They stopped at the Pink Bus and did shots for a really long time and then she tried to hook up with another guy and the her friend got mad and was crying and mostly it was really funny but I'm still hoping that she made it somewhere ok and isn't dead in the canal.

I know that mullets were ok in the 80's - it was trendy and lots of people seemed to have one - but seriously, I don't think that the rest of the world knows how awful they really are! We started off with Mullet Watch '08 with the greatest mullet of the night. Super long and curly in the back - it was thick and needed a brush badly, and spiky up top - and bleach blonde...with cut off jean shorts (this was a guy by the way!). It didn't end there though because for the next 3 hours I saw more mullets that I ever did in the 80's - we ranked them and muttered our own words of advice on how to make them better (like that's possible!).

Anyway - the bus was rather special to us and provided endless entertainment - well until 3 am when we were finally tired and headed back to the hotel.

We headed back to Bangkok the next day, but not after another couple hours of laying by the beach.

Chris wanted to buy the bus, and I'm a huge supporter of that...if he does, that can be my job in Thailand - I can serve drinks out of a Pink Bus - I'm a fan of that idea!!!

2 comments:

Ann said...

Can't wait to see your pictures!! Your blog has increased my interest in visitng a part of the world I thought I had no interest in visiting!! Your mullet description was hilarious...you need to add any pictures you took of him to this site: http://www.mulletsgalore.com/
So funny! Safe travels--see you soon-Ann

ctadhankins said...

Can you stuff me into your suitcase next time you go? Sounds like a blast, but I would need to go through some sort of alcohol conditioning regimen to be able to keep pace.
Glad to see you had so much fun over there. See you at the Y sometime soon-
Chris