Monday, February 16, 2009

Marathon Training Update

This time around I feel different. Almost like it's not a big deal...but it is and I have to remember that it is huge.

Today is the start of week 6 of marathon training and I've gotten two double digit runs in already, and I don't feel phased about it like I did last time. Last time around, when week 6 started I hadn't done double digits yet. In fact, it was week 6 that I did a 10 miler for the first time ever. Which, as you may recall was quite entertaining and it was then that I decided officially that I was in fact, a runner.

I think a lot of the difference was that I had never run more than 6 miles before so literally every step over 6 was a HUGE accomplishment for me. Every mile I increased was a HUGE victory, one that was incredibly emotional, pretty scary, quite amazing and fulfilling.

I truly believe that this time around it is just as fulfilling but I'm not amazed anymore that I can run 12 miles which is what my long run was this past Saturday. I've been there before, I've run 12 miles like 8 times - I've done it and I can do it again.

My 11 miler a couple of weekends ago was great, I was able to get outside and that was awesome, but I was sluggish - after being injured for a good chunk of November and all of December and being handcuffed to the treadmill when I could run again, I was slow and I felt it. But, even though I felt a little slow and a little off, and it may not be fun while I'm doing it, when I finish I always feel good.

I have a quote that sits on my desk that says "Life is not about perfection. It's about moving in the right direction," (Eliz Greene) And over time, I've come to realize that I am certainly moving in the right direction every time I put my running shoes on, throw on my suit and goggles and jump in the pool or pull out my yoga mat. I've also realized that I'm GOOD when I'm training for something. I'm focused and I don't really care how long it takes me, I'm going to finish and it's going to be fun.

I've come to the conclusion a long time ago that I'm not a Kenyan; so while I don't ever expect to be leading the pack of marathoners, I know I won't come in last, and honestly, I enjoy the journey. Sure, those last 6.2 miles suck hard, but to run all 26.2 miles and to get that medal put around your neck because you did something AMAZING - totally rules (yes, I invoked my 15 year old slef for that statement) - and it left me with such a great taste in my mouth I really couldn't (can't) wait to do another one!

This past Saturday was the first time that I've ever done a "long run" with someone - minus being supportive and having support on the treadmill. Ann and I went out on Saturday and did between 12 and 12.25 miles. It was sooo nice to have some company AND be outside! The bike path we ran on, that had been free of snow all week, had a nice coating of fresh white but wasn't overly slippery - until we got to the side roads - thankfully we both invoked the balance Gods and were able to stay on our feet the entire time!

It's different running WITH someone, and since I've never really trained that way it was interesting, and fun for sure. I felt like I could go longer - I didn't want to quit because I had someone who was in it with me - someone who "understands my crazy." So, thank you Ann and I look forward to more long runs with you!

In summary - my marathon training is going well. I'm getting in all of my runs and I'm doing lots more biking and swimming than last time and I'm really having fun with it. Sure, days like today 4:15 am comes really early and it's hard to get out of my nice warm bed and scrape my windshield, but I do it and when I'm done, I feel good - about finishing a workout, about my abilities and about myself.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, I must say that I really enjoy the blog. For a multitude of reasons, but most importantly, the inspiration of your training reports. I recently decided, after gaining a few pounds, that it was time to change my way of life, sadly no more taco bell, and get my fat buttocks in shape. Thanks Jen. Also, I met with a personal trainer this morning, that sadist tried to kill me, and that was just in warm ups.

Jennifer said...

Jake - I'm glad that I can inspire someone - other than myself :) And, I'm glad that you enjoy the blog, I have a lot of fun writing it - and it's great to have a log of all my training, etc. I'm glad you read, makes me feel conected! That's awesome that you're going to personal training route - you'll have to tell me how that goes, you know, if he doesn't kill you first :) And, to the taco bell, it's not AS awful as you think - just in moderation!! Call me sometime soon when you feel like chatting to catch up!

Anonymous said...

Jennifer, I am honored you have a quote from me on your desk and inspired by your journey. After a couple of season off, I am going to train for a triathlon this year and will continue to read your blog for inspiration!

Keep it up -- you are truly moving in the right direction!

With heart,

Eliz Greene

Jennifer said...

Eliz - thanks so much for your nice note!! I just did my very first tri and will be doing others for sure!! Thanks for YOUR inspiration!!