Monday, February 23, 2009

I tri'd and will tri again....

Sunday I did my very first triathlon - and I get to tick it off of the "To Do Before I'm 30 List" which is always so much fun!

The Y holds a mini indoor triathlon every year and after much deliberation, I decided to sign up. It was a 1/4 mile swim, a 5 mile bike and a 3 mile run. I knew I could do it in under an hour - which is generally about half of the time I spend working out on an average Sunday. My fear was the transitioning from swim to bike to run.

I started off in the pool too fast with free style - had I started with breaststroke (what I swam in High School) I probably could have had a better swim time. I was also between some pretty rockstar swimmers which made me want to go as fast as possible, which can both be good and bad!

I had laid out my running capris, socks, shoes and extra towels on the deck to be ready as soon as I got out and it worked pretty well. I whipped them on and flew up to the spin bikes.

The hardest part for me was the 5 mile bike. Mainly because I was on a spin bike and not going anywhere. During a workout I can do the spin bike for about an hour and get a good 20 + miles in and it doesn't bother me. However, since I was "racing" the 5 miles couldn't be over fast enough.

The first few laps around the track felt pretty weird, my legs felt a little jello-ish but not too bad and I quickly got into a groove and the running was by far the easiest of the three.

I completed the whole thing in 54:53 which I was comfortable with. My only goal was to finish in under an hour, which thankfully I did. And, while it was pretty hard, I really enjoyed it.

The best part of the whole thing though was my cheering section! My cousin Jamie and her kiddo, my sister, Greg, the kids and one of Greg's friends, and my parents were all there to cheer me along - and I recruited my aunt Jane as my timer! I had the biggest crowd there and it was so fun to have them all watching and helping me along! The moral support that I have for doing these events is outstanding! I am REALLY lucky!

My mom asked me this morning which I liked better - the tri or the marathon and my quick answer was the marathon. I would love to do another tri - outside - and could really love find myself loving it. But there's something about running for hours at a time that just makes me happy (thanks for the tee shirt mom!) - weird I know!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Look out, they are addictive - especially the sprint distance. Maybe I'll see you out on one of the courses this summer!

Jennifer said...

Thanks! It was great! And yes, I could see them being addictive - just like marathons! :) I'm looking at doing at least one this summer!!