Wednesday, March 18, 2009

I Heart Marathon Training

I climbed onto the treadmill this morning at 4:45 and started an 8 mile run. During the first couple of miles I started to think about training and the fact that I REALLY enjoy it - which I know, I know, makes me weird (we've ALL got that figured out now!).

Here is a portion my list of things I love about training for a marathon ( yes, most of them have to do with food):

1. Smore's Luna Bars - LOVE these things - a great pre run snack!
2. Peanut Butter Power Bars - I eat these before long runs and like the peanut butter more than any other flavor - and I don't love the fruity ones!
3. Espresso GU - has a little caffeine to give me a kick during a run and strangely, I find it tasty.
4. Luna Moons - yummy little chewy "fruit snacks"
5. Chocolate Milk - such a fantastic recovery drink
6. Peanut M&Ms - while I've scaled back on these this time around, I still love them dearly
7. Pasta, bread, and all things carby and delicious - I love any excuse to eat an abundance of carbs!
8. A fab play list - last time around I ran to country - this time I'm going a little pop with lots of Natasha Bedingfield, Katy Perry, Britney Spears, Colby O'donis, Jason Mraz, and I really add some fun with a little NKOTB!
9. Having the mental focus to do this. I'm a true believer that marathon training is 80% mental and 20% physical.
10. killer quads, hamstrings, and calves - my legs shape up nicely during training and I love them for that.
11. My feet. They're not the best looking feet I've ever seen and they have some callouses and bruised toe nails, but they're awesome. They carry me through lots and lots of miles and I love them.
12. A stronger core. Which in turn makes my SI joint oh so happy.
13. Oh yeah, I can't forget bananas - I heart them all the time, but even more so while I'm running!
14. I sleep REALLY well while training.

No comments: