Friday, March 27, 2009

Single in the City

Reene Zelleweger recently had this quote on a magazing cover - "I'm not single, I'm busy" I immediately loved it, but after thinking about it a little more, I wondered if busy was an excuse. Just because you're busy doesn't mean that you can't put yourself out there and date and have a good time, you know, if you want to.

I'm single. And for the most part, I'm ok with that. I'm busy and have great friends and certainly don't need someone to complete me. However, certain times of the year, summer especially, I'd like to be dating someone. While I don't ever mind being the 3rd, 5th, or 17th wheel, when it comes to doing things with my friends, it does get a little old and I feel more often now than ever before, my "coupled up" friends are busy doing their coupley things and I don't get included....and I don't blame them for that nor do I think it's being done intentionally, it's just easier to go to dinner with another couple versus another couple and Jen.

The other reality is, I'm 28, an age that yields a most of my girlfriends being or getting married, or seriously dating someone. That leaves me often home, on a Friday night, blogging.

It's not like I don't try - or don't put myself out there and while I guess I could do more and get involved in different groups and organizations and whatnot, I don't have a great deal of time in my life with a two hour drive every day, county board, and lots of running. (excuses, I know).

Where am I going with all of this? Well, I've decided to try online dating. I'll be honest, I've done it before and I've never had good results, however, I am at a different point in my life and I figured I'd give it a shot. And, I figured I'd chronicle my adventures here on my blog, promising to change the names of the unfortunate, the lucky, and the jackbags because I've decided that while I may not even meet anyone who I actually like, it may provide lots of entertaining stories, and who doesn't love a good story?

I signed up for Match.com on Tuesday. The good news? 652 people have looked at my profile. The bad news? Out of that many people, I haven't recieved much contact. And while I'm not a math major, I can tell you that those odds don't seem very good.

I also don't know how to go about doing this - when do you email someone? When do you "wink" at them? How long do you wait to reply to their email? How do you write a profile that says how awesome you are without seeming too cocky? How do you pick your pictures? Do you have to tell people who contact you that you don't like do you have to tell them? Or do you just ignore?

So, here I go. This will be an interesting learning experience, one that if nothing else, will provide some good stories, and I promise I'll share!!

2 comments:

Jake said...

Hey, at least the last time you went to visit your parents your mother didn't threaten you with arranged marriage. True story.

Jennifer said...

Really??!? Did she have someone in mind for you or was she just throwing that out there as a threat? It's good that my sister has kiddos as I don't have any pressure on me to have them and isn't that ultimately why parents want their kids to get married - so they can have grandkids?