Sunday, April 13, 2008

Back Where I Come From and Some Thoughts on Creativity

I had the pleasure of going to see Tracy Silverman who plays the electric violin and is not only one of the most talented musicians I have ever met, but also one of the coolest people with his wild hair and great sense of humor.

Tracy is from Beloit and after years of playing in the orchestra (with my mom!), he went to Julliard and has become a world renowned artist and has received glowing reviews spanning the globe. The great thing about Tracy is that he is not only humble, he appreciates his roots.

Every spring, Tracy comes back to Beloit to perform with music students from the School District of Beloit with proceeds going to benefit the music departments. And after, I'm lucky to be one of the cool kids that gets to have a glass of wine with him and hear about what's going on in his life...which is filled with his kids and family, creativity and travel.

I was proud last night - proud of Tracy for recognizing how important it is to try and enrich the community where he grew up; proud of the amazing talent that we have in Beloit; and as always proud to walk in to BMHS as an alum. I felt proud watching the talented kids we have here, the talented teachers, and to remember that this is a good community to live in.

It was awesome to see kids expressing themselves through music. It made me ache to get my flute out, belt out a tune, and just get on the stage!

Tracy is going to be performing at Concerts on the Square this summer in Madison and was asked to write something Madison specific, which he previewed for us last night at Dominico's. It starts out talking about brats (which is awesome) and is really centered on how he's proud to come back home.

After hearing a snippet of the song I really thought about the importance of recognizing that there are great things about "home" - things that can never be replicated in other places that you live.

I often forget the great things that happen here in Beloit - because let's face it - I'm a big city girl, essentially trapped in a small town but this is a town that has enriched my life in so many ways. I have gotten to experience things here in this small town that have made me a better, more well rounded person and for that I will be forever greatful to the place where I come from.

CREATIVITY ON THE BRAIN

Lately I have been really craving more creativity in my life, and after seeing Tracy's concert last night I want some even more.

I ran into the French teacher at BMHS last night and she has agreed to meet with me once or twice a week this summer to help me with my French (which I know none so it'll be interesting!) so I'm off today to buy "French Without the Fuss" and get a head start! I cannot wait to start learning!

I'm also vowing to get my flute out and start playing again. I haven't played in years but I have a georgous instrument that's dying to get out of the case! There was a girl last night playing the flute that did a back and forth with Tracy and it was FUN. It made me crave making music!

My "Vision Board" is taking shape too! One of my favorite blogs, Hip Tranquil Chick talks a lot about creativity and how essential it is to encorporate it in your life and suggested creating a "Vision Board" that for me is a sea of controlled, cool chaos, and has great quotes to live by, colors that get me going, pictures and thoughts that inspire me, and creative ideas. It's such a fun thing to have around as a reminder that you can find creativity in the smallest things!

I hope that you find your Sunday, and all your days filled with great creativity, music, and pride for where you come from!

No comments: