Tuesday, June 10, 2008

If My Head Didn't Fell Like It Were About To Explode

So this is officially week two of marathon training. Week one went swimmingly - I got lots of runs in and lifted, and swam - I felt awesome, and totally ready to conquer!

However, yesterday morning I drug myself to the Y and since it was raining (seriously it can stop doing that NOW. Thanks.) I hopped on a treadmill set to do 6 miles. Yeah...not so much. About a quarter mile in I was HOT - not like in the everyday, Jen's really hot way, but I was SWEATING - already. This was not going to be good. It seemed like it took an hour to get one mile in (in reality it took 9:30 - details).

And then around mile 2 my head started to pound, and not from the Pink Bus tunes I was jamming to. This was not a good pound...and then there around 2 1/4 miles my face started to feel like it was going to explode. I told myself I only had to do 3 miles since I was dying and all, and it was amazing I even made it to that.

Holy cow - I can't explain the pain I was in - ALL DAY yesterday. I really feel for the people who constantly suffer from allergies, and while I have my share of sinus infections, I have certainly not ever felt as bad as I did yesterday (ok, I may be exaggerating a LITTLE here, but I can assure you, it was awful).

So, I started taking my generic sudafed (Wal-phed in fact. Who names those things anyway?) in case it was allergies (and this is the REAL stuff, the kind you have to use your driver's license to get) and I managed to (barely) make it through my day.

And since I really can't afford to be sick right now (I have too much to do, don't my sinuses understand I have a MARATHON to train for??!) I went to Urgent Care this morning only to be told that it's a "viral" thing and to keep taking the sudafed and maybe some ibuprofen for the pain. Awesome. Thanks.

Today is MUCH better though, I'm currently managing to stay awake at work (something that was undoable yesterday) and my face only feels like exploding a little. So, here's to sudafed, ibuprofen, and gallons of water and tea - - and to busting out some miles tonight.

4 comments:

Ann said...

Yuck...here's to feeling better...sounds like (up until yesterday :-) that training was going well....keep up the good work!!!

ctadhankins said...

Sinus problems are NO FUN... I know all about that. And running on a treadmill is like peeing into the wind - not fun at all.
Glad to hear you're staying focused on the training- it's tough. I find it much easier and more enjoyable to stay in bed and get up just in time to make it to work.
Now that Ann is on for a tri later this summer, we'll have to get together and run a bit!

Matt said...

You've GOT to get a Neti Pot. NeilMed brand. $14.97 at Walmart. Comes w/ 50 packets. Unbelievable. Promise. Better than any meds you will take for allergies or sinuses. PROMISE! Hope you're getting better. Love H.

Jennifer said...

And you even showed me how to use the Neti Pot H - but I'm still a little afraid! :) I'll have to try it next time!