Monday, July 28, 2008

13.1 down, a long way to go...

After what seemed like an eternity of a sore foot (really it was 4 days), I was a little bit scared for my long run on Sunday. I hadn't run since Tuesday (when I ran a stellar 8 mile time), and I didn't know how I was going to feel. (and, ps. my foot is ok, checked in with the doc and need to stretch more...simple solution, nothing tragic!).

I got myself out the door, with a 13.18 mile route planned out, and I ran it...hard...and it felt awesome. My foot was great (I was so proud of it!) and I was done in 2:16:23 - which puts me pretty much on track for a 4:30 marathon, which is nothing to be ashamed of.

The run was nice - it was not too hot outside, although around mile 5 I ran by the bank and it was 66 degrees, and 2 miles later when I came back it was 70 already!

I've been putting my parent's house towards the end of the run so that I can get some cold water to refresh me for the last 3 or 4 miles. Mom was awesome and had 2 super cold bottles in the mail box for me with a note for encouragement!

On the last mile I started to really kick and when I came back onto Shopiere for my last .1 miles I was running hard...and had this insanely crazy wave of emotion come over me. I was so happy, I was laughing out loud and then it really sank in that I had just ran 13 miles, holy crap. That's when I started to cry. So I'm running...hard...and crying...hard...and looking like a total dork I'm sure, however, when I was done, I was really blown away with myself!

I don't want to get too excited or too overly ambitious about a specific time for my marathon so I need to keep checking in with my goals, which are:

1. Finish
2. Don't Die

Totally managable I think! However, there's a long way to go before getting to the actual 26.2 miles...thankfully I have 61 ish days to finish preparing!

No comments: