Monday, July 21, 2008

Running and Weekend Fun

So I ran 27.10 miles last week - in 3 days, this brings my month of July total up to 67.07 miles in the first 19 days of the month which would be sane if I was running 3.53 miles a day, but I'm not.
I ran 6.5 on Tuesday, 8.5 on Thursday and a lovely 12.1 on Saturday - all in some really crappy humidity and all with a little adventure (as usual!).

My 6.5 miler started out lovely until I got about .75 miles in and had a heart attack when a big, mean, scary dog came running at me - ok, it was a golden and it wasn't THAT big, but it did scare the crap out of me. It took me another half mile before my heart was beating normally again.

(Note to self, buy the mace, it'll be good for fending off muggers AND scary animals).

On my 8.5 mile run I was too lazy to create a route using mapmyrun so I ran my 6.5 miler but did my 1st mile loop 3 times. That was dumb. First of all, I had to count and me trying to run and remember how many times I had done that loop was a tad bit difficult. Second of all, it was BORING.

(Another note to self, don't be lazy...map a run route).

Friday night I was psyched up to do my 12 miles. I had my run all mapped out and my water and Gatorade chilling in the fridge. I had snacks out and ready - thanks to Paula I had some fun chocolate GU (which is not as good as it sounds I assure you, but it worked really well), my mp3 player ready to go and I was in bed EARLY so I could wake up at 4 am, on a Saturday, ready to run (fun right?). At 4 am it was down pouring - so I went back to bed in hopes that the rain would eventually stop and it would be less hot and humid.

The rain stopped but I think it brought more humidity...I headed out a little after 11 am. I had a plan worked out with my sister to call her and have her bring some water out for me as I passed my parent's house at mile 8. Well, in the first 3 min. of my run I dropped my phone. I had it tucked in my fuel belt and it fell. So I spent 20 min. walking up and down Shopiere looking for my stupid phone (thinking the whole time that my whole life is in that thing and I would be lost without all my numbers). I finally found it and continued on.

(Yet another note to self, get something that will hold my phone securely).

When I got to the point in my run where I really needed some COLD water and encouragement I called on my sister...who didn't answer her phone...because she was napping. However, I finally got a hold of my mom (after SEVERAL attempts) and she brought me some cold water which was a great help.

(Final note to self, get a new sister...just kidding...).

I know I've written about the "runner's high" before and I'm telling you - it's really amazing. I ran 12.1 miles and it was hot and I wanted to die - but afterwards I couldn't stop giggling to myself and feeling totally psyched.

In other weekend activities, I got to catch up with Jake on my drive home on Friday - fun phone calls on my way home are a great distraction to the hour commute! I also went to my soon to be city and had a blast Saturday night with Rachel and my bartender Kyle at our bar, Soho 7, had a great couple hours with Heather over coffee on Sunday, more fun with Kyle, some quality family time and drinks and fun chat with Katie, Jason, and Kim. Can't beat a weekend like that!

Unfortunately, Monday's provide a reality check.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I couldn't help I took a nap. Thats one perk of having a two year old that takes three hour naps.. yay! :)
atleast you got your damn water!

Jennifer said...

Yeah, must be nice to get a NAP once and awhile - although for you it's all nap all the time on the weekends! Yeah, amen I got some water. I could have died you know :)

ctadhankins said...

Hey, I've got an idea.. why not get a support car like the riders have in the Tour so you can just have them pass you whatever you need! I'm sure Amanda would be willing at 4 am, right?

Ann said...

Good job with your runs...I totally hate running into dogs on a run/ride...love invisible fences...best invention yet!! Checked out your bar link..looks very fun...Milwaukee is a great city---So impressed that you are doing all your long runs solo!

Jennifer said...

I'm sure that my sister would be TOTALLY in for trailing me on my runs to pass me water and whatnot out the window, she is THE BEST SISTER :)

Invisible fences are awesome, even more so when the dogs don't have crazy barks!!

Soho 7 is AMAZING - if you ever need a girls weekend, we should totally go Ann (if you sweet talked me, you could come too Chris :) ).

Anonymous said...

i'd TOTALLY be willing at 4am. I only have ONE requirement.
I MUST be driving a 2008 merecedes benz convertible..provided by the runner of course :)
Then, I'm all yours. All day, everyday. haha :)