Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Sometimes I Argue With the Voices In My Head

Don't get all scared that I'm like Sybil or something, but today I had some rather large arguments with myself - all in my head of course, because as much as I think it's normal to sing out loud when I run, I draw the line at arguing with myself. I mean a girl's gotta draw a line somewhere right?

I ran 17.04 miles on Sunday. In 2:58:08. It's a little over a 10 min. mile, which I'm not all that excited about, but I need to slow down a little on my long runs. However, that's neither here nor there, the point is, I ran for like 3 hours and didn't complain once. In fact, I enjoyed it. A lot.

However, today, I had to argue with myself to get out of bed and continued that argument for six and a half miles. That's like an hour of running. When my alarm went off at 5 am I hit the snooze, even though that's sleeping in for me. I had to say, out loud, to myself: Get UP!

I slowly got up and got out the door and started off, and as soon as I started I immediately started an argument with myself. It went something like this:

"Do I REALLY have to do this today?"

"Yes."

"Are you sure? I'm REALLY tired."

"Seriously. Yes."

"I really hate this."

"But my body feels awesome, and it's only 6 -1/2 miles."

"Dude, that's 6 - 1/2 miles; that sucks."

"It's not 8, or 17. I just ran for 3 hours on Sunday, this is cake."

"I really hate this but I really love cake, I should be eating cake right now instead of running."

"No, I love this and it's why I can eat cake. Look, the sun's coming up and it's pretty out."

"It's hot, this sucks, I want to be back in my bed."

"Seriously, shut up and run."

"I think I'm going to get eaten by that turkey staring me down."

"Well, run faster then."

It was a very difficult mental struggle this morning which was new to me. I mean sure, I've had days when I don't feel like running or it sucks but I usually get over it pretty fast. This however, lasted for an entire hour. Annoying, and I felt a little crazy. I need to get back on my mental track of "I can, I will, and I am able." Hopefully Thursday, when I do 8 I don't have the same fight.

At least the turkey didn't get me. Those things seriously creep me out...but that's for another day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

atleast you entertained yourself.
haha.
and i highly doubt you could outrun a turkey. but it would be fun to watch you try :)

Ann said...

Oh...I so know those arguments....what's funny is that after you get done time dims the memory and you think that wasn't really that bad...I could have run further! So ridic! Great job on the 17! See U Saturday!

Jennifer said...

Yeah, the turkeys on my run are annoying!! And the deer and the dogs and the skunks and crazy chipmunks...wildlife, I tell ya.