Monday, August 4, 2008

Rainy days and Mondays always get me thinking...

I'm not really down today, despite the wet, dreary weather we're having...and that it's a Monday on top of it. But I am certainly contemplative.

This weekend was a whirlwind of activity - I got a lot of throwing away done, worked an early morning shift at the Y on Saturday, a fantastic 14.22 mile run on Sunday morning (I kicked my butt with some awesome hills), more moving, a great Dem picnic on a lovely Sunday afternoon and dinner with three of my favorite girlfriends. It was great.

As I sat at dinner last night, at a table outside overlooking the Rock River and listening to my girlfriends catch up, I realized there are just some people who know you...really know you.

The four of us used to be inseparable, but times change and we grew and got more into our careers; into and out of relationships, and the three of them into lasting ones; we spent a lot of time a part as I jaunted off to LA; we made new friends; we have changed, but the one thing that remains is that these women know me and I know them. No matter how much time apart, no matter what new things come into our lives, getting together with the three of them brings me comfort.

It's amazing to think about all the times - both good and bad - I have shared with these women. These are the women I turn to most when things are askew in my life because I know, no matter what, there is no judgement from them and mostly I know that I can count on them. I can count on them to say the right thing - or say nothing at all and it will all be alright.

These are women I turn to when I need to remember - both the funny stories and the hard times that I've made it through. They jog my memory because they were with me...and will always be with me.

These women are more than my friends, they're my sisters...my family, and I love and appreciate them more than they can ever imagine...and although I don't get to see the three of them in the same spot very often, when we are all together it makes me smile...and dinner on Sunday was a fantastic end to my very busy weekend.

No comments: