Sunday, January 4, 2009

My Thoughts Exactly

I just finished reading "My Life On The Run: The Wit, Wisdom, and Insights of a Road Racing Icon" by Bart Yasso. Yasso works for Runner's World and has completed over 1,000 road races, most of which have been held in really interesting places like Antartica, Rome, and Mt. Kilimanjaro, among many others. It's a interesting book filled with lots of great running stories and an underlying message that running can transform a person. And, his recounts of the Taj Mahal 5k, "Burro Racing" in Colorado, and the time he ran a "Bare Buns" fun run in a nudist colony provide fantastic comic relief.

The moment I read one of his last passages (before the great training schedules and list of must run races) I knew I had to get on here and write it down. It's profound and it's true, and it's why I have come to love this sport and feel my best when on the hitting the pavement.

"Running is about acceptance - of yourself and others. When you're out on the trail sweating, it doesn't matter if the guy or gal next to you works at a fast-food joint or is CEO of Kellogg's. It doesn't matter what color they are, or how old they are, or what religion they practice, if any at all."

"Running celebrates our commonality. Are we human because we can run on two feet, or does running make us human? I know I feel more like myself when I run, even if it's only a few miles, or at least I feel like the self I like best. Running inspires creativitiy, relieves stress, and gives us insight into ourselves and the world, making the human condition more tolerable."

No comments: