Thursday, January 22, 2009

I've Been Sucked In...Again

I have been leery of the Twilight books - I'll be honest, I've never been much of a Vampire, weird, Sci-Fi, magical, mystical sort of girl. I tried to be once when Interview with a Vampire was hot (in 1994). I tried to read Anne Rice's book and unfortunately, couldn't get through it. I also fell asleep during the movie I so wanted to like because you know, Brad Pitt is gorgeous and Tom Cruise wasn't crazy - yet. Alas, it wasn't for me.

So, when the Twilight books came out and people started telling me how good they were, I dismissed them. However, over the last several months, SOOO many people were talking about them, and people I have similar reading tastes to kept telling me to try them...so I caved, and let me tell you - the first one is good. It's 498 pages and I read it in 3 days. It's a great love story and the vampire part is actually interesting.

I did the same thing with the Harry Potter series. One of my roommates in college was raving about them and I told her for quite sometime I wasn't interested and then I picked one up and read the first two in a weekend and from then on I was hooked - reading all the books and seeing all the movies, which never disappointed me the way movies from books often do.

One of my goals this year is going to be not dismissing things because they're out of my norm. So far, I haven't been disappointed!

I'm updating my blog with the books I am reading this year in one of the boxes on the right hand side of my page...I always love suggestions to new reading material!!

2 comments:

Ann said...

Love this post....have you tried goodreads.com...it lets you log your books and see what your friends are reading/reviewing as well.....I have yet to read the Twilight series...but the few pages I have read look to be good. I am almost done with A Thousand Splendid Suns....so far I think it is a great book and I can't believe what some women must go through in other countries just because they are female.

Jennifer said...

Can't believe I missed this - Thank you for the goodreads.com tip!! I need to try it out! Loved A Thousand Splendid Suns...The author is incredibly talented - I'm now going to see if he has anything else - besides Kite Runner!